Skip to main content

Why Do Gymnasts & Ice Skaters Take Dance Classes? By Ms. Geneva

Throughout my 12 years of teaching in different parts of the country, I have had serious gymnasts and ice skaters in my dance classes at every single studio I have taught. I find it extremely fascinating how dance can provide a deeper level of training for them and help them perform better in their field.

In Texas, I taught at a studio across the street from a gym that trained Olympic gymnasts such as Carly Patterson and Nastia Liukin. Having young students in my ballet class train across the street, all the other days of the week, made me wonder if one day one of my ballerinas would be an Olympian. I've also had ice skaters who would practice at 5am every day before school and then take dance a few nights a week tell me how ballet helped them in their competition routines. I love being motivated by my own students! Here at Dreams Dance Academy we have quite a few gymnasts and ice skaters take our classes. Ballet, lyrical, jazz, you name it! There are many key elements that gymnasts and ice skaters can benefit from by taking dance. Here's a few!  

How does dance help gymnastics?

  1. Posture/Alignment: Holding the core in tight to create a long spine needed for balance and strength. Gymnasts have to use high arms with high shoulders and often accentuate a curvy spine. Dance helps control all of that intense core movement.
  2. Feet: How to use the feet properly to their fullest extent, as gymnasts have to point their feet all the time too! Notice the male gymnasts have wonderful straight lines from the hips down to the ends of their toes while doing the rings routine. Also notice the women have to constantly keep their toes pointed in the parallel barre routines as well.
  3. Bending the knees: Softening the landing on flips, preparing for multiple turns, taking off for jumps all begins with the focus on bending the knees that is taught in dance. 
  4. Elegance on floor routines & balance beam: It is very obvious to me when a gymnast has wonderful dance skills by watching their floor & balance beam routines. Rolling on the ground, connecting movements together with grace, dance portions in the routines (even down to the final pose), high kicks, and pirouettes all show off their dance skills & training.
How does dance help ice skating?

  1. Upper body: The use of their arms in skating is very similar to ballet even with how they hold their fingers, alignment of their shoulder blades, and use their neck.
  2. Preparing for take-off and landing: In the prep for take-off for jumps/turns, the control of core, use of legs, form in the air, and landing in arabesque are all movements learned in dance.
  3. Turning: Ice skaters turn fast and often do not spot their head (that would probably cause whiplash). However, the form used in their turn and doing turns off the ice is important to practice in order to rely on their own body to hold them up. 
  4. Presentation/Artistry: Just like dancers, ice skaters need to show emotion on their face & let the emotion take over their whole body while skating. This will drive up their score and make them stand out as true performers. There is nothing more glorious than watching an ice skater perform Swan Lake with so much passion that it leaves the audience in tears. As it should! In lyrical dance classes we even do exercises where you have to dance like a particular emotion (angry, sad, joyful, etc.).  Ice skaters have said this helps them figure out how to emotionally connect to their performances on the ice.
Ms. Geneva Aboites, DDA Instructor  https://www.dreamsdance.com/team-bios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you have a dream, you have two choices...

. ..keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent. Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion w

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

Q&A with Miss Geneva - Reflecting on 10 years at DDA

  Miss Geneva with her class at the 2014 DDA Recital   What made you apply for the job at DDA? My husband and I had just moved to Illinois for his job and I was volunteering one day at a cancer center in Geneva teaching dance to kids to bring them some joy through music and movement. The director told me that one of the ladies she worked with had a daughter who had opened up a dance studio in La Fox (the previous location). Well, that was Jenny's mom she was talking about! So, I called right away to see if she was hiring.   Do you remember your first day?   I was actually nervous. I was feeling so out of place moving somewhere that had my first name on buildings (ha!), knowing that my desert blood had no idea how to handle zero degrees, everyone else seemed to have extended family here except me, and driving on roads with one lane was the weirdest thing to me. Those little things made me feel like this was not home. However, I remember walking into DDA being warmly greeted by