Skip to main content

Black History Month - Artists Who Inspired Me by Kelsey Green

 

When I was around 3 years old, my mom signed me up for dance class to help with my confidence, as I was a very shy child. When I was five or six years old I saw Savion Glover on Sesame Street. I was in awe of his tapping and how much joy he emitted while he danced. I knew right then and there that I wanted to share dance with whomever I could in hopes I would bring the same joy into their lives, as he had to mine. I looked for him every time Sesame Street came on TV, and was so happy whenever he was on the show. 

Around that same time, I was also highly inspired by Michael Jackson, as so many in my generation were. His movement was unmatched by anyone that preceded him, and I absolutely made it a goal to be able to learn choreography from music videos and put on shows in my living room to whoever was willing to watch (at times it was only my stuffed animals).  I learned to love moving and it became my outlet. Whether I was having the best day or worst day, dance allowed me to dance through my emotions and help process them. 

With each “chapter” of my dance life, I had many people that inspired me. Most of them were my teachers and mentors, who today are still in my life and still inspire me as a teacher and person. I think we forget sometimes how important it is to talk to our young dancers about who inspires them and why. I think realizing WHY someone inspires you or your young dancer can speak much more about their goals and what they see is important in what they do. Maybe they are inspired by a dancer who works the hardest in class, or maybe they are inspired by a dancer who is an amazing performer, or maybe they are inspired by the dancer who is the kindest to everyone. To me these all say different things and can be one way to help us guide our youth to what they individually want to achieve. 

I have so many dancers that work professionally that inspire me now, but the people I am inspired by most in my adult life are my co-workers and friends that teach, choreograph and lead youth. I look to them for direction, advice, and inspiration daily. The dance world has this larger than life community to gift those that grow up in it. The five year old me who looked up to Savion and Michael had small but mighty goals back then, and I am grateful for the stepping stones each person who has inspired me ended up gifting me. Each person has helped me get to where I am and I am forever grateful for that!


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

When the silence is deafening... by Jenny O'Brien

The silence is deafening...when you walk through the doors of a place you've worked your entire life to build. Every little piece of it. But there is nothing but silence. Six weeks of silence. Silence in a building that normally boasts hundreds of dancers and parents, hallways with kids running down them, music blasting from four different rooms, tap shoes clickity clacking, and the front door opening and closing a thousand times a night. Since I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.

When you have a dream, you have two choices...

. ..keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent. Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion w