Skip to main content

How to make your dancer’s dance bag less of a horror story. By Katie Behrens



What could be scarier than Halloween in the month of October? Well quite possibly the smell of your dancers dance bag. Have you ever wondered to yourself, “how could such pretty little feet make that smell ?”......

Here are some tried and true tricks to keep your dancers dance bag smelling fresh in between classes.

  1. Should be obvious, but take out dirty leotards and tights and wash them.
  2. Smelly shoes the problem? You can make shoe dehumidifiers by using old worn out tights. Simply cut off the feet of the tights, fill with dry rice, you can also add a few drops of peppermint oil to the rice. The rice will absorb moisture and the peppermint will leave a pleasant smell.
  3. Place dance shoes in a Ziploc bag and freeze them overnight. Freezing the shoes will kill the bacteria therefore, destroy the odor.
  4. Once a month take everything out of the dance bag and wash it in the washing machine.
  5. Canvas ballet shoes and canvas lyrical shoes can be washed in the washing machine on cold. Then allow them to air dry. Of course, I would suggest trying this with an old pair of shoes. Just because I have had success doesn’t mean you will 😉.
  6. Make sure your dancers toenails are trimmed. Long toenails are a breeding round for smelly bacteria.
  7. Place odor absorbing potpourri sachets in your dancers dance bag.
  8. Make sure leftover food does not get trapped in your dancers dance bag. I once was helping a dancer look for a shoe and found a moldy sandwich in her bag.
Hopefully these tricks will end up being treats for you and your dancer. You are now armed with the power to stop smelly dance bags forever.

Comments

  1. In case of tears, runs, stains, or excessive sweating, you want to have a backup pair of tights and clean leotard. And as temperatures in studios and theaters are unpredictable and can vary widely, it is important to have warm-up clothes you can layer on top and remove easily
    smellproofguide.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

When you have a dream, you have two choices...

. ..keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent. Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion w

When the silence is deafening... by Jenny O'Brien

The silence is deafening...when you walk through the doors of a place you've worked your entire life to build. Every little piece of it. But there is nothing but silence. Six weeks of silence. Silence in a building that normally boasts hundreds of dancers and parents, hallways with kids running down them, music blasting from four different rooms, tap shoes clickity clacking, and the front door opening and closing a thousand times a night. Since I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.