Skip to main content

When the silence is deafening... by Jenny O'Brien


The silence is deafening...when you walk through the doors of a place you've worked your entire life to build. Every little piece of it.

But there is nothing but silence. Six weeks of silence. Silence in a building that normally boasts hundreds of dancers and parents, hallways with kids running down them, music blasting from four different rooms, tap shoes clickity clacking, and the front door opening and closing a thousand times a night.

Since I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.

In college, I always had multiple jobs at a time. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. After college, I still had multiple part time jobs in addition to my full time career. Again - not because I had to, but because I wanted to. I don't like sitting around, I hate wasting time, and I love trying new things that allow me to use my creativity. I even had a few small side gigs I started myself like event planning. I always had an entrepreneurial spirit and dreamed of being my own boss; but I truly believe timing is everything.

In my early 30's I was sitting at my desk at my full time job. I still can picture the day so clearly. March 19, 2012. I felt a pull like never before and went with my intuition even though it was a huge risk. I decided to leave my job and pursue my dream. From then until July I spent every free minute on this dream before putting in my notice, so I could make sure I felt confident in my decision and that I had a good plan in place. That month I held my first DDA class. And in September I walked out the door of my full time job and never looked back. I was both excited and scared. But I had persistence and drive and refused to fail.

I started my business with a few thousand dollars and no loans. I started small and was smart about every little decision. I did everything myself in the beginning whether it was making tee shirts and dance bags, creating my own website, or hand delivering sales packets to pre-schools. Every little thing I did myself. Including teaching every class the first year. I wanted to build this studio from the ground up on my own, with my own money. Doing everything myself was the only way. But I was fine with that as there was nothing I loved more than the hustle of making your dreams come true with your own hard work! It was truly so much fun.

Since then, we have gone from 0 students to almost 375. I have an amazing staff of 12. I have moved or expanded my studio three times. The last time being August 2019. I debated on it for a year. The time finally felt right and the need for more classes and space had been growing. I was confident in my decision. I never in a million years imagined a pandemic as a "what if." I am a planner. I am a "expect the best, prepare for the worst" in everything I do as a small business owner and studio director.

If you are a studio family or are familiar with DDA, you know we moved to a virtual studio almost overnight the weekend of March 13. I am so proud of that and have no problem tooting our horn in what we have been able to do! We now have some pretty amazing tools to use even when this is over. I (and I'm sure my staff would agree) have learned so much and gained so much from this experience as well, that will only make us stronger as individual teachers and stronger as a team.

But, that doesn't mean there aren't struggles right now as a small business. Just because we are able to run our studio virtually, does NOT mean it hasn't affected my small business. The small business I have worked my entire life to build. Some days I wake up in a panic; some days I jump up excited to tackle the day and be creative.

I know everyone in the world is dealing with the affects of this pandemic right now, and all in different ways. I know it is for the health and safety of us all. I know we need to do this. I am thankful for my and my families health. I am grateful for these hard times. Hard times give the best lessons.

But it is still a really, really hard pill to swallow and a harsh reality to face. I would give anything in the world for the silence to be broken within these walls. I have worked so hard to get here and I will NOT give up.
 
Jenny O'Brien is the Owner/Director of Dreams Dance Academy

#smallbusiness #shoplocal #inthistogether #season8isgonnabegreat #theDDAway #morethandance #riseup

Comments

  1. Great article waySince I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

When you have a dream, you have two choices...

. ..keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent. Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion w