Skip to main content

The DDA Leadership Academy: Thank you Ambassadors


"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, and do more, and become more...you are a leader."

I have had this thought at the end of every night since the new session began...these Student Ambassadors are amazing. Like incredibly amazing.


We decided to expand on the responsibilities of our Ambassadors this season, after I heard some great ideas from other studio owners I network with. Every day we have Ambassadors on duty at various times; at our training last month many signed up for a one hour slot on the same day each week for one month. For example, Ella V. is responsible for Thursdays in September from 5-6pm (something like that, I don't have the schedule in front of me!) This teaches them consistency, responsibility, and dedication just like a "real" job would. They have a manual, they (not their parents) need to contact me when they will be gone or have questions, they sign in each day...and they receive a "DreamBucks" paycheck three times a year which can be used toward studio purchases or tuition!

They keep the studio tidy, things like organizing shoes and stocking spiritwear...they assist parents and students with questions and shoe fittings...they clean (even bathrooms!) and LOVE it! And they REALLLLLY clean 😍

Last Saturday when one of them was leaving she said something to me on the way out like "well I work on...so I will see you then..." I had to giggle because it was so cute and so mature all at the same time - they take it so seriously and refer to it as a real job! This dancer in particular arrived at 9am for Ambassador duty and didn't leave until 2:30pm after her rehearsals. Another is so dedicated to cleaning that I constantly see her walking (fast🤣) past the room when I'm teaching with a different cleaning product! They understand the importance of keeping a clean studio and why it is so important. When I was getting over pneumonia but still held our Ambassador/Assistant training, three of them saw me carrying tables and setting up...they came out of nowhere, grabbed huge heavy tables from my hands and did the rest. Without being asked. They also cleaned up everything without me asking. When I got home that night, I cried thinking about it. Cried happy proud tears. Children...children did this.

All of those things I mention are because they take initiative. They do things without being asked. We talked about initiative at our training and how that is one of the best qualities you can offer an employer. Many didn't know what the word meant, and now just a month later they are owning that word. And their first employer will surely appreciate that quality!

I cannot wait to see where these leaders go in the years ahead...their first job interviews at 16 (whether here or somewhere else), their college applications, their first resumes...they are gaining such valuable experience and tools to nail that first interview and land that first leadership role whether it is on a student organization in college or a #ladyboss CEO one day.

WHY DO I HAVE A LEADERSHIP ACADEMY? I know first hand what these opportunities and lessons will set them up for...success! I have loved working since I was 15, and beside my jobs I was always dreaming up new business ideas (and started a few very small ones on the side!). I love seeing these girls do the same. Thanks to my parents for instilling a strong work ethic in me, and even things like having a savings account from a very young age! My senior year of high school I was accepted into a program that allowed me to go to school for half the day and then to work. It consisted of a business class, too. I LOVED it! I loved working much more than school. I remember after college at one point I had 4 jobs...because I loved working! I had my full time corporate job, taught dance at two places, and worked at a bridal shop. I am not encouraging that, but it is funny to look back on! I bought my first home at just 24.

My friends always called me bossy 😂 but I just loved being a LEADER, which is the word I try to use and encourage others to since many associate "bossy" with being a negative word. Just the other day a young dancer told me someone called her bossy and she seemed down about it...I said "girl...listen up..everyone called me bossy, and look at me now (pointing around me at this studio I created)!" Her eyes got big and she smiled like she really understood it is a GOOD thing.👍

I have so many other big plans and dreams for this program when I have a bigger space to accommodate it all one day ❤ I have always been so inspired by and loved the concept of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls- South Africa, and would love to have an actual classroom one day to accommodate all my plans for the DDA Leadership Academy!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Student Ambassadors are part of our DDA Leadership Academy. You can learn more about it here https://www.dreamsdance.com/student-assistants-ambassadors.

#theDDAway #morethandance  #leadersoftoday #leadersoftomorrow #girlboss #ladypreneurs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

When you have a dream, you have two choices...

. ..keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent. Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion w

When the silence is deafening... by Jenny O'Brien

The silence is deafening...when you walk through the doors of a place you've worked your entire life to build. Every little piece of it. But there is nothing but silence. Six weeks of silence. Silence in a building that normally boasts hundreds of dancers and parents, hallways with kids running down them, music blasting from four different rooms, tap shoes clickity clacking, and the front door opening and closing a thousand times a night. Since I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.