Skip to main content

When you have a dream, you have two choices...


...keep dreaming or act on it. I chose to act on it. Lately I have been thinking alot about that first year. And for the last few years, I have had a blog on my "to-do" list - so it's perfect timing to combine the two. I love helping others realize their dream IS attainable. People often ask me how I did it and how they can start their own business....and I wish nothing more than for people to go after their dream too.  Because it is possible. That is...with patience, persistence, and consistency. Those are the three key words you must remember. You have to be willing to put in the work. You must be patient, persistent, and consistent.

Although I always dreamt of having a dance studio, my true "a-ha moment" was in March 2012 sitting in a dog park (don't worry, my dog was with me!) The day before I had run into a former students mom and as we chatted about how the past year of my "retirement" from teaching had made me realize where my passion was, she said you need to open up a studio. I laughed and said "if only it were that easy." It wasn't the first time I had a parent say that to me over the years, but for some reason that one really struck me differently...I don't exactly know why. But I felt the push. I can't explain it in words. I truly believe timing is everything, and that the time was right for me. I saw her on a Saturday, had my a-ha moment on a Sunday, and on Monday had a studio name and website. True story, no exaggeration. Crazy, right? Now back to what I wanted my post to be about! 

Lately I've been thinking about the first year after coming across photos from my first DDA recital. It was December 2012 (five months after kicking off my first DDA classes) at the Elburn Community Center. It was a "Holiday Showcase." As I scrolled through the photos recently, I realized so many things about my beginning . So many memories came flooding back. From the shirts dancers wore to the people working in the photos. It struck me. Why those things you ask, right?   

The pink tees were $2 clearance shirts I found at Target. Actually I think they were less than that...some weird Target clearance price like $1.67! Not only did I go to every Target imaginable, but I had Friends and family looking for me, too. The white "Dreams Dance Academy" on the shirt is an iron on that I printed myself from my home computer/printer withe transfer paper I bought at Hobby Lobby. Talk about vintage DDA!

The people working in the photos....they were volunteering. And they are my friends! My friends who cared enough about my new venture to donate their time on a weekend. I had no employees. I was a one woman show for one year. My friends, my parents, family....those were the people who helped me out. What fond memories I have of that first show and being able to share it with my closest friends. It makes me smile to look back and remember. My mom helped backstage too, and I want to say my dad and brother were ticket takers and door watchers! Now: I have a staff of 10 keeping this busy studio going! But of course my family will always be there pitching in no matter how much staff I have.

The recital venue was a gym that also doubles as a auditorium (actual auditorium seats). Yes, really! Used my own sound system (as in a cheap stereo!), opened and closed the curtains ourselves, prayed it would stay warm in an old building where the heat typically didn't work. There were 8 routines in the show. The auditorium had about 175 seats. Now: We almost sold out both shows last year with 850 seats. And between both shows we have about 80 routines. I do love that gym/auditorium though! We continued to have rehearsals and a few showcases there for a few years, and even have a good ghost story from it :)

Beside that first recital...here are a few other things that came to mind about my first year....
I had 3-4 locations at a time (as I originally started as a Traveling Dance Studio - need to write about that another time as I have some great tips for other future studio owners!). Not only did I spend half my time driving, I lugged all my supplies like props and portable stereos....from one place to the next. Some days I'd have little challenges with myself like ok, how will you carry this all in one trip.... Plus, I had two teaching jobs not affiliated to DDA. I remember some days not knowing where I was going next, stopping home for 15 minutes to eat a quick lunch or eating in the car, only to get home after 12 hours of teaching and driving all over...to do it all over again the next day. Now: Well, there are still many 12-15 hour days (as many dance teachers and studio owners will tell you!) but the difference is I often don't have to get in the car once during the day :) Only to go home!

One of the community centers I had a DDA location at (the same building I had the holiday
showcase) had a heating system that often didn't work in the dance room. Pair that with a number of broken windows in the dance room....sometimes it felt like I was outside! I remember one time the dance room was so cold....that I took the kids upstairs to a hallway to dance. I will never forget that! Now: Remembering things like this make me appreciate our studio space even more!

I often ran classes with 1-3 kids. You have to start somewhere! I always knew holding those small classes rather than cancelling them was better in the long run. It may have cost me money to run the class, but in the end it paid off. Patience. Now: We often have classes max out at 18 dancers within a few days of registration opening.

I even made my own dance bags. I would buy rhinestone iron on decals that said "DANCE" from Hobby Lobby and iron them on canvas bags. I'd add cute ribbons, bows, and flowers. I loved it! But I didn't usually sell them - it was usually things I used as raffle prizes and giveaways. I did alot of free classes at local libraries to promote DDA, and I used the bags for things like that.

Sure, I could have hired people to do all these things, but that isn't me. Not only is it not me, but I think many businesses don't survive because of the amount of money they spend on things you can usually do yourself (with patience, persistence, and consistency!) Plus, it really was fun!

My point is that it's not glamorous, you're going to do EVERYTHING yourself, you're going to find unique ways to save money...but you're going to pour your heart and soul into every tiny detail and people will take notice and appreciate it. You're going to work harder than you ever have. It's not going to be easy. It isn't "luck." It's hard work. For the first year, my studio was my car and my house.I started with zero students and no home studio, to a studio of 320 kids in a 4,000 square foot space that we are already outgrowing. I have an incredible staff of 10. I no longer have to do every little thing myself. I am always careful to not say I am lucky. It is not in the one bit luck - it was hard work. It was determination. It was those days of driving to four different locations. All of that has brought me where I am today and I wouldn't change it for the world!

While I was writing this, I sent these photos to two friends and they both said the same exact thing - "look how far you've come." I thought the same thing when looking back at these, but to hear them say the same thing....it reminded me how true it is. If it weren't for my decision to get up and act on my dream...there would be no DDA. Between our students, their parents, and our staff - that's probably about 700 people that wouldn't be connected. That's alot of friendships, memories, lessons, laugh, and unforgettable moments that we wouldn't have.
Life is too short to stay in the miserable job. 
Life is too short to not eat the cake!
Life is too short to remain in an unhappy relationship.
Life is too short to not splurge on the nice purse or expensive makeup :)
And...life is too short to not chase your dreams. 
Whether it's a big dream or a small dream...I hope this encourages you. And hey if it ends up not being all you thought it'd be? Well, at least you tried. But, I bet it will be worth it.
"Noone ever said it'd be easy...they just said it'd be worth it." So put yourself out there and ACT on your dream today. You've got this. 
Jenny O'Brien
Owner/Director of Dreams Dance Academy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the difference between a jazz and ballet pirouette? - by Miss Geneva & Miss Jenny

  What is the difference between a jazz pirouette and a ballet pirouette?    One of the hardest transitions between jazz and ballet are the pirouettes. There are many differences, and teachers often find themselves giving corrections in class....over and over...and over....that are related to this! Read on to learn more:   The prep and "take off" Even the prep to take off has several differences. The little steps leading into the pirouette are different to begin with but we will save that for another time! For the actual position to turn from in jazz, the feet are in a parallel 4th position with the back heel up. In ballet, the feet are in a turned out 4th position with both heels down. In ballet you can also do a pirouette from 5th position. However, all of them you have to use a plié to take off from.    P.S. - Use your plie! How many times do you hear your teacher say that?   The turn Basic pirouettes use a passé position and turn on releve (lifting the heel to

When the silence is deafening... by Jenny O'Brien

The silence is deafening...when you walk through the doors of a place you've worked your entire life to build. Every little piece of it. But there is nothing but silence. Six weeks of silence. Silence in a building that normally boasts hundreds of dancers and parents, hallways with kids running down them, music blasting from four different rooms, tap shoes clickity clacking, and the front door opening and closing a thousand times a night. Since I was 16 years old, I've worked my tail off. I always loved working. Truly. In high school I loved working so much....that my senior year, I was part of a business program that allowed me to leave school at 10:30am and work the rest of the day. The only things I ever enjoyed about school were the social part and electives (classes like cooking and graphic design). And of course gym because I got to take dance. I hated the rest. I would have to study for hours upon hours to get a B or C in classes like Science and Math.